Hi everyone, we are really excited about the 6th annual Bristol Anarchist Bookfair on Saturday 26th April 2014 at the Trinity Centre, Trinity Rd, BS2 0NW. (map)
Please spread the word by sharing this page on social media >>>
As politicians proclaim ‘economic recovery’ the gap between rich and poor in Britain continues to grow. It’s not surprising really. Another housing bubble, combined with Cameron’s ‘permanent austerity’ package was unlikely to do much for anyone but the top 10%. As we continue to bailout the bankers and the true extent of MPs (false) expense claims becomes clear, those worst affected by cuts are demonised as “scroungers”.
To shift attention from the real fraudsters, the right-wing press fuels immigration hysteria – another vulnerable group is criminalised, and the borders are increasingly fortified. Despite the recent floods and the scientific consensus on climate change, the state and corporate response is to extract more fossil fuel by ‘fracking’.
All over the world, resistance and experimental alternatives to this broken system are well under way. From everyday resistance enacted in the home, workplace or school, to more spectacular forms of direct action. From a thousand spanners in the works to a million spades in the earth, people are occupying, creating and organising new ways of living without hierarchy, domination and capitalism.
Bristol Anarchist Bookfair is part of this movement – a space to come together, discuss, laugh, cry and share the ideas, inspiration and strategies to resist and thrive. Leaders, politicians and representatives are never going to create the future we want. A better world is in our hands – but is only through considered action, together, that we can make it a reality.
We will again have over 60 stalls, a large discussion room, 30+ workshops and activities + the Radical History Zone at Hydra Books and the Permanent Culture Now marquee. Freshly cooked food by Kebele Cafe & Anarchist Teapot. Kids space and an outside adventure playground (also for adults)!
This is a call out to contribute to the bookfair in whatever way you desire; create what you would like to see:
- If you want a stall at the bookfair fill in the Stall Booking Form 2014.
- Got an idea for a workshop, song, film, talk, poem or other activity, please read the Workshops Info sheet 2014 and fill in the Workshop Proposals 2014 or email us at: bristolanarchistbookfair (at) riseup.net
- Promote the bookfair: please share this page on social media, email lists, etc. Cut & Paste http://www.bristolanarchistbookfair.org/2014-bookfair/ or click share on facebook on the righthand sidebar.
- Pick up a poster from Kebele and display it, (A3 & A4) 2 designs available from Saturday 1st March. Email us to help put up posters around Bristol.
- Email us to say you can help on the day.
- Help with the after party, or do the door etc.
- Help with deciding what will happen at the bookfair, we are a very small collective to be organising the main public anarchist event of the year in Bristol. Join in: at Kebele in Easton, WEDNESDAYs 7.30pm (fortnightly until April, then every week) dates are:
BOOKFAIR Saturday 26th April
For queries about stalls please email: BristolBF-stalls (at) riseup.net (we recommend that when you post us payment you notify us by email.)
For non-stall related enquiries, requests for general info, offers of help and everything else please email: bristolanarchistbookfair (at) riseup.net
With thanks, in solidarity, Bristol Anarchist Bookfair Collective